What Are The 7 Philosophies?
There are sevenphilosophies of education and these are Essentialism; Perennialism; Social Reconstructionism; Behaviorism; Progressivism; Constructivism; and Humanism. These seven can be grouped into three main categories: 1) teacher centered philosophies, 2) student centered philosophies, and 3) society centered philosophies.
First, let’s tackle the two teacher centered philosophies:
- Essentialism – from the root word “essence”, Essentialism is the philosophy of education that aims to teach essential skills which are needed by people in order to thrive in the society. This philosophy states that in order to live, people have to learn from teachers and experts.
- Perennialism – on the other hand, Perennialism is the philosophy of education that strives to teach about great and remarkable timeless works by world-renowned philosophers, writers, and thinkers.
Meanwhile, these are the three student centered philosophies:
- Progressivism – from the root word “progress”, Progressivism is the philosophy of education that seeks to develop and progress the moral compass and the lives of the students. This philosophy states the importance of change, progress, and individuality in education.
- Humanism – meanwhile, Humanism is the philosophy of education that focuses on bringing up and motivating the students to attain their fullest human potential. This philosophy states that emotions and knowledge are both essential to the process of learning.
- Constructivism – lastly, Constructivism is the philosophy of education that aims to utilize education and learning in order to form and construct the world view of the students. This philosophy gives value to real world experience from which students can create more knowledge and wisdom.
Finally, these are the two society centered philosophies:
- Behaviorism – from the root word “behave” or “behavior”, Behaviorism is the philosophy of education that strives to cultivate and imbibe behaviors that are helpful, useful, and advantageous to the society. This philosophy focuses on the power of conditioning to reinforce behavior.
- Social Reconstructionism – on the other hand, Social Reconstructionism is the philosophy of education that aims to perceive and promote education as the means to resolve problems in the society. This philosophy states that social reform is essential to the betterment of the society.
What Is A Simple Definition Of Philosophy?
One of the most simple and most beautiful definitions of philosophy is this: “love of wisdom”. This simple philosophy definition is also the literal meaning of the origin of the term philosophy, which is philosophia. It is the Greek term that literally means “love of wisdom”.
From being the love of wisdom, philosophy can also be simply defined as a way of thinking or as how a philosopher thinks. The following is a short list of other simple definition of philosophy:
- It is a way of thinking about various important subject matters like value, time, existence, ethics, meaning, and thought.
- It is the creation of theories about essential things like knowledge, existence, behavior, and thought.
- It is the pursuit of wisdom.
- It is the study of human life and the world through inquiring and thinking.
- It is a critical thinking activity.
- It is the quest for answering the questions what and why.
On a simple yet distinct note, philosophy is defined as the abstract, rational and methodical contemplation of the fundamental aspects of man’s existence and experience and of life and reality in their entirety.
With all these simple definitions, we can surmise that with philosophy, we are able to think, reflect, contemplate, and understand everything about ourselves, our lives, and everything about our world and reality. With philosophy, we are also able to inquire and ask what and why philosophy questions which all matter to the discovery of truth and the unlocking of wisdom.
With philosophy, we are able to discover and understand our world and our life.
What Are The 4 Types Of Philosophy?
There are four major types or branches of philosophy. These are Logic, Metaphysics, Axiology, and Epistemology.
- Logic is the type or branch of philosophy that centers about the process of reasoning. It is the type or branch of philosophy that can be classified into two main aspects: inductive reasoning and deductive reasoning.
- Inductive reasoning is a method of logical thinking wherein broad generalizations and theories are derived from specific examples and observations.
- Deductive reasoning, on the other hand, is opposite of inductive reasoning. It is the method wherein specific ideas and conclusions are derived from general statements and hypotheses.
- Metaphysics is the branch or type of philosophy that focuses on finding answers to questions about nature, reality, and the physical universe.
- Axiology is the type or branch of philosophy that studies fundamental values and principles.
- Epistemology is the branch or type of philosophy that scrutinizes how we, people, are able to learn and understand what we know.
Why Do We Study Philosophy?
Philosophy in life is extremely important. Why? It is because philosophy is like a way of life. It is a way of thinking, understanding, and gaining wisdom about human life, the reality, and the world.
All of us are taught about philosophy at school because it is important to study about philosophy as we grow and become adults and as we fully embrace the reality of life.
Here are 10 reasons why we study philosophy:
1) To become a person of our own
With philosophy, we are able to think and become a person of our own. It enables us to not become just a “yes person”, who does not know how to think and decide for himself / herself. It gives us the ability to think critically, especially in real life situations. With this, philosophy also takes courage to be independent and decide for the self.
2) To get ready and succeed in various fields of expertise and careers
When we study philosophy, we develop many essential skills such as reading, writing, speaking, reasoning, thinking, learning, adapting, communicating, and organizing. Now, these skills are very important in the real world, especially at the workplace where we need to perform and excel. Without these skills, we will be forever stuck and dependent on our families, especially our parents.
3) To realize your own understanding of what success is
Success varies in different people and through philosophy, you will be able to realize and discover the meaning of success to you. Philosophy encourages you to think deeply, confront yourself, and know the answers, especially when it comes to questions about values, success, and fulfillment.
4) To be able to get great scores in standardized exams
Philosophy centers on critical, analytical, and logical thinking. Therefore, philosophy helps us figure out the correct answers in standardized tests like LSAT, GRE, MCAT, and GMAT. It is because these standardized exams are filled with philosophical questions and problems.
5) To grow and become a well informed citizen
Being an informed citizen does not only mean watching or reading the news everyday or surfing the web every hour. Being a well informed citizen means that beyond all the information overload that we are bombarded with everyday, we are able to think critically and behave according to what and why we know.
6) To have the potential to earn higher income
Philosophy stimulates the mind like no other field of study. This is the reason why so-called philosophers are very intelligent people full of wisdom. Now, when we study philosophy, we are able to develop our knowledge and wisdom to prepare for the real world of working and competition. We could have the potential to earn higher income through our learnings from philosophy.
7) To gain wisdom about ethical principles and their practice in real life
Through philosophy, we are able to learn about ethics, life, family, work, and social principles. With these ethical principles, we can be able to think and act ethically to various types of discussions, arguments, and situations.
8) To become a valuable and effective communicator
Philosophy teaches us the value of communication for personal and societal growth. When we study philosophy, our communication skills are also developed and enhanced. This further enables us to become excellent communicators who express our ideas, opinions, and theories effectively and intelligently.
9) To be able to determine our chosen path
Analytical thinking allows us to reflect on our deepest needs, desire, and passion. Philosophy helps us become analytical thinkers who are capable to know the best career path for ourselves so that we will not be wasting our time with the wrong choice or decision.
10) To get ready for a possible career in law
Some of us want to partake in the world of law by becoming lawyers or attorneys. Now, when we study philosophy, it prepares us for the rigorous and complex study and practice of law through critical thinking, analytical argumentation, problem solving, effective writing, and excellent comprehension and understanding.
For these vital reasons, people continue to study philosophy, not just to enrich the mind and the knowledge of the world but to deepen the meaning and understanding of what and why human life is. Indeed, philosophy is a way of thinking and a way of life, which makes it relevant in people’s growth, development, and success.
How to Write a What is Philosophy in Your Own Words Essay
To write a What is philosophy in your own words essay, you must have a thorough understanding of the topic you’re writing about. Philosophical essays generally contain expositions and critical discussion. The topic that you choose should be clear and precise, and you should avoid being idiosyncratic or inventing terms. For this reason, there are some basic tips you should follow when writing a philosophy essay.
First, philosophy is a subject that can be adapted to any topic. There are many possible branches, including metaphysics, ethics, and aesthetics. It deals with everything we know and experience, and traditionally, philosophy is divided into five branches: science, politics, ethics, and religion. As an academic discipline, it is important to understand the history of philosophy. It is also important to know the purpose of your subject, so you can choose a topic related to it.
Secondly, you should understand the text that is being analyzed. For example, if you are writing an essay about an important work of philosophy, you should know that it is a primary text and not a secondary text. This way, you won’t end up with confusion about which part of the text to discuss. It is also helpful to use headings to organize your essay. This way, you can clearly show which part is being discussed and which is not.
Third, the sentence structure of the philosophical essay is essential. Most of the time, the sentences in a philosophy essay are declarative. This means that the subject is the main focus of the sentence. The predicate is the object of the sentence. The verb and pronoun should be used sparingly, as the former is unnecessary. Finally, if you use a clause to describe a subject or idea, it should explain what the clause is doing.
In a philosophical essay, most sentences will be declarative. Neither interrogative nor imperative sentences are appropriate. The main focus of the sentence is the subject. In your essay, the subject and predicate should be the same. The last sentence should be a subordinate clause. Usually, an adjective phrase will be used as the subject. If the clauses are nested, they’ll be more effective if they’re grouped together.
Once you’ve decided on the topic of your Philosophy in Your Own Words essay, you’ll need to choose a text. Then, you’ll need to select the primary text. There are two main types of texts: primary and secondary texts. The primary text is the most important one for writing a successful paper. The other type of text is the secondary text. The primary text should be your main focus. The other one is the second.
A logical argument is an argument that demonstrates a point. In other words, a philosophical essay should be a logical argument. In other words, it should be an argument that demonstrates a point or a concept. You should also include arguments that are relevant to the topic you’re writing about. A strong thesis statement should include a clear, concise conclusion. A logical essay is a persuasive piece of work.
When writing a philosophy essay, it is crucial to remember that most of the sentences are declarative. This means that there’s no need to use adverbs or adjectives. Instead, you should focus on using examples to illustrate your point. For example, if you want to use the term “philosophy” in an essay, you should use the term ‘philosophy’ to define the topic.
In a philosophy essay, it is important to avoid jargon. Rather, it should use proper language to make sure your readers understand the topic. In other words, you shouldn’t rely on thesaurus to make your essay sound better. This tool is not only helpful in constructing a well-written philosophical paper, but it’s also a great help when writing for a philosophy essay contest.
What is the Best Definition of a Philosopher?
A philosopher is a person who seeks to understand the world in a systematic way. In the following three examples, we can see that a philosopher looks for explanations of how human beings behave. They seek to understand the universe by asking questions and then putting those questions together to form a coherent whole. These three types of philosophy are not compatible with each other. However, each of them aims to make the world more understood and better understood.
A definition of philosophy is not the best, though it is helpful. Many people believe it is the best description. A philosopher is a person who studies and debates about ideas and their consequences. Some consider philosophy to be the study of ideas, and these kinds of people are part of a social movement. Others believe in a god and seek to understand the universe as a whole. Whatever a philosopher’s philosophy is, it should be a source of personal meaning.
Some philosophers consider philosophy a field of study and research that involves the analysis of language. This field has been around for a long time and is often associated with the philosophy of morals. While morals are not directly verifiable, they can be discussed objectively. In this context, the definition of philosophy is very broad. In other words, it refers to the study of the development of ideas. For example, a philosopher might study the history of ideas, while another may study the evolution of concepts and ideas.
A good definition of philosophy involves a person who is a student of the subject. Students who are looking for a higher purpose in life will be drawn to philosophy. For example, a student of philosophy might seek to understand why human beings are free and responsible. For example, they might want to consider the role of education. If they believe in a god, their concern for human rights, justice, and wholeness should lead them to seek a deeper understanding of the world.
The best definition of philosopher is a person who challenges the way we live and lives. A philosopher should be concerned with the quality of our lives. It is important that we live our lives according to these principles, not just our actions. A true philosopher will also have a high moral code. A person who practices philosophy is not subject to bias. He will seek to understand human nature and develop it. If we have faith in a god, then he is a true philosopher.
Philosophers seek a deeper understanding of the world. They do this by questioning the origin of reality and its origin. They also strive to understand the role of education. This aims to prevent humans from becoming a victim of social planning. And they should be a person who is concerned about human rights and the fullness of man. These are the qualities of a philosopher. The best definition of a philosopher is a wise philosopher.
The best definition of a philosopher should be comprehensive and not too limited to one single subject. A philosophical philosophy is a person who uses language to understand the world. He may be a scientist, a philosopher, or a writer. In other words, a philosopher can be a man or a woman. The latter’s role depends on the person’s background. The philosopher is a human being who believes in a god.
A philosopher is a person who studies ideas. He or she uses logic and reason to solve problems. The goal of a philosopher is to explore and explain the world. For example, a logical empiricist will attempt to understand the world from a holistic perspective. The best definition of a philosopher includes a person’s philosophy of language. This philosophy can also be a philosophical view of the world.
A philosophy of language is important to philosophy. It is the language used to explain things. It is the language that is used to explain the world. A philosopher should be able to translate the words of others and describe the world in a coherent manner. This way, the philosopher can influence the society. The philosopher must also have a strong belief in a God. This philosophy is a way to understand the world.